Friday, July 3, 2009

Starting Your Montessori Home School

I certainly do understand those parents who like the idea of implementing Montessori at home, but really have no idea where to start. I get that!
I wasn't very organized in my approach. I had no manuals or formal training. I just started reading, researching, and then I dug in making materials that I thought would interest my kids.

And then I kept it going! It's a never ending process.

I find that making materials for my classroom to keep it fresh and interesting for my kids challenges my creativity and problem solving skills to the max. I've actually come to really enjoy the task almost to the point of becoming a hobby. It's what I do when I have spare time, or after the kids are in bed. I research the internet for the endless ideas from other amazing teachers/parents that are giving their kids their very best efforts at home.

Here are a few resources that really helped me get started:Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child

Basic Montessori: Learning Activities For Under-Fives

Teaching Montessori in the Home: Pre-School Years: The Pre-School Years

Reading those books, and perusing the internet was a terrific start to my own Montessori classroom. FYI: For those of you implementing Montessori methods in the home, you'll be interested in this site here: http://www.polestarmontessori.com//

As you really get into the Montessori Mode, you will look at things differently as you visit the dollar store, yard sales and thrift shop. Nearly everything you see will become a future "work" in progress.

It's actually tons of fun, especially when you see your little ones enjoying the materials you've labored to create.

Here are just a couple of things I've been working on lately:





I got the pictures for this (above) work from www.montessorimaterials.org which is a favorite site of mine. We have a section of wall in our school room with magnetic paint and we like to use the magnet wall for various things. On this work I've added sections of magnetic tape so the poster can hang on the wall. It's also reversible. The other side has the percussion and woodwind families on it.

Here's another quick and easy work:





This one is pretty self explanatory. Just a shoe box taped shut and a cut out of my daughters shoe taped on top. I drilled holes in the shoe and laced it up. (remember to drill the holes and lace the shoe before taping the lid on to the box).

No comments:

Post a Comment