Saturday, December 1, 2018

Singing with the Symphony


I can't remember the last time that I (instead of my husband) took the kids out on the field trip.  I'm usually the one home with the little people.  Nursing.  Doing nap time.  Cleaning, cooking, shopping...

But not this time!  The baby is officially ONE (yahoooo!!) and since my husband was working from home, during nap time, I was free to finally accompany two of the kids on a field trip and I'm so incredibly happy that I did.

We have tickets all year to a series of symphony performances. They happen at noon on Fridays every other month.  So this month of November we went for the Holiday Pops concert at the symphony and it was amazing.  I knew I was going to cry.  The first swells of soul-verberating strains seem to just wash over me, through me, and out my eyes!  The girls kept leaning in to give me hugs.  :)

We had fun picking our seats as it was general admission.  The girls chose to sit on the third tier in the very last balcony overlooking the stage! We had a Birdseye view of everything.  It was a fun perspective and we saw things that we never would have otherwise.













Such a memorable event.  On our way out a sweet woman commented on how she loved watching my younger daughter sway to the music and conduct her own symphony from the balcony.  She then commented that this was the best Christmas concert she'd seen here in 5-6  years.  Lucky us!

We loved the chance to stand and sing along with the symphony at the end. If you've never sung with a symphony (most of us haven't) you're missing a great thing.    All that sound!  All that music.  All that energy.  Loved it.

Their final number of Sleigh Ride was ROUSING to say the least.  It was so fun to watch the percussionists during that song.  The horse hooves, the sleigh bells, and I had never seen those big wooden clapper things that make the loud slapping sound.  A clapper stick?

Something like this





Afterwards we walked across the street for a quick bite before heading home.  Wow, it felt so fun and festive to be out with my bigger girls.  What a great start to our Christmas holiday season.












No comments:

Post a Comment