Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Moving Beyond The Page: High School English 1 - Student Review

Ok, as a follow up to my review of the MBTP High School 1 English curriculum, I asked my daughter to answer a few simple questions to get her insights on how the program went for her. She took this as a freshman and I gave her a B in the class (only because she had some missing and late assignments).

 Here are her comments:

 Best thing?
The easy-to-follow, intuitive, and manageable way the class was organized. I liked that the lessons were short and concise. I also enjoyed the reading material.

Worst thing? How expensive the workbooks are, and sometimes I felt like it was a bit juvenile.

What did you think of the reading selections? I thought they were interesting, though I was somewhat surprised that they required some books that were very graphic.

What did you think of the assignments? I liked that the assignments were concise and had a purpose. It didn't feel like just busywork.

Did it change the way you think in any way? I would say that it taught me to think more deeply about things instead of just accepting the first answer that came.

What was the greatest (if any) benefit?
Exploring and studying the great reading material and discovering more about modern day social movements.

Do you feel prepared for 10th grade English? Yes. I know more about grammar and how to critically think about a work of literature. The homework and assignments were challenging enough that I felt like I was improving my academic abilities.

Would you recommend it or not and why? I would recommend it because it is interesting, somewhat fun, and not very stressful. If you keep up with the assignments and readings its an enjoyable class.

Parent note: I found her comment about the cost of the program interesting ;)
For me, the most difficult part of the program was the intense and laborious grading process.  Even though she worked independently, grading her work each week was a real chore!

No comments:

Post a Comment