Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Why Do I Keep Homeschooling After Ten Years??

I know we all have those days when we wish we didn't homeschool.  Like today for example.  I don't even know how we fit it all in!  At 5:40 am my husband takes my higschooler to a bible study class.  At 8:30 am I was on my way with all the kids to a field trip at the corn maze, followed by piano lessons, then poopy diapers, naps, laundry, math lessons, reading lessons, volunteering at the horse barn, cooking, vacuuming, volleyball games, and late night grocery shopping.  Somewhere in there we ate meals.  I think.  Tomorrow will be more of the same, but there will be different activities: Band, Scouts, etc.

Did my mom ever have a day like this?  Nah.  I was explaining to my husband today that her policy was to never rise from bed before we had all been shuffled off to school with a dollar-twenty-five in lunch money and a hug from dad before boarding the bus.  She didn't see me during the week until after cross country practice (or softball, or basketball, or debate club, or rehearsal, or whatever...).  I ate a quick dinner, did my chores, showered, and spent several long hours doing homework in my room.  Pretty hands off for my mom, I think....

So why do I do this homeschool thing?  Why don't I shuffle my kids off to school and spend my days doing what I want to do?  Cause I could!  And then I'd have time for exercising, reading, gardening, shopping at normal hours, meal planning with calmness instead of in a flurry, serving on some community board, or going back to school.  WHY am I a homeschool mom?

Well, three things in the past 24 hours have come to my attention that have really affirmed my decision to homeschool.  Let me go over them here...just for good measure.  Cause I really don't need any more reasons. I already have plenty.  But it's always good to grow the list so that I can draw upon it when I have exhausting days like this one and I am tempted to strap my kids to the back of a yellow bus and say goodbye for 5+ hours while I soak in the tub and eat fudgesickles.

1) I read an article and saw a news cast about a boy in Georgia who was bullied in school because he and only one other child in his 5th grade classroom still had the decency to stand and salute the flag during morning Pledge of Allegiance.  For real?  To make it worse, the teacher then began to explain why she would never stand for the pledge or respect our nation's flag.  Uh....is that why we send kids to school?  To be brainwashed by teachers into hating our country?

2) My 9th grade daughter has a bestie that goes to public school.  This friend told my daughter that one of her teachers was caught smoking pot in the bathroom during school hours.  Everyone could smell it, and it was obvious when the teacher came into class that he was "altered".  Did the teacher get punished? No.  This friend laughed about the experience.
Is this why we send our kids to school? To desensitize their moral compass and expose them to these bottom-of-the-barrel teachers who then flood these young minds with cultural ROT?

3) As I mentioned above, today we took a field trip with homeschool friends to visit a corn maze. It was really fun and what a beautiful fall morning to be outside enjoying the sun and the season with good people.  But we weren't the only group there.  While my kids were having lunch and playing on the swings, I heard two other children playing near by.  These kids were probably between 5 and 7 years old. One of them said, "So Billy, we live together and have kids, but we never get married.  OK?"
WOW!  Is that how kids play 'house' these days?  The worst part was the mothers' reactions to these kids' imaginings.
Mom 1: "Did you hear that? Did you hear what she just said?"
Mom 2: "No, what?"
Mom 1: With a big grin, "She just said, "Hey, we live together but we never get married." Giggle.
Mom 2: "No way! Really? As in, they're living in sin together? That is hilarious!"  Laughing.
Mom 1: "I know, right! SO funny!"

Wow.  Just wow.  Now, I don't know if these kids were public schooled or not. I don't know where they got this information or learned to act it out.  But I can imagine.

Being homeschooled doesn't make you a saint! That's for sure.  But it sure does allow you to filter your environment to such a degree that your moral compass, your knowledge of Truth (with a capital T) and Higher Law, your understanding of  God's world and your place in it will flourish much more than if you were to be thrown into a mix of "do-what-feels-good-ism", commonly found in today's public schools.

And there my friends, are three more examples, or reasons, why I continue to do what I do.  We are in our 10th year of homeschool.  I've got another 18 to go!  (Number 7 is due in November!!!)  It's a daunting thought.  But I do believe that all things are possible through Christ, which strengtheneth me.  And I do believe that the time and season will come when my burdens are less, my time is more abundant, and my own ambitions will manifest.  For now, I pray for strength to play out the role I've been given at this time in my life.

It's late.  My pillow calls me.

Kudos to all of you homeschooling parents.  I know it's hard.  But I believe our efforts will NOT  be in vain.  The world so desperately needs strong, solid kids to stand up to the cultural decay and remind the world that America, and all she represents,  can only be Great when America is Good.  Carry on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment