Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Day of School Pictures And .... Stuff

Yesterday was our first day of school! Hurray! It went really well.

We've got a 2yo, a soon-to-be 4yo, and a 6.5 yo.

Well, since we made a last minute switch in our plans to attend WAVA, we don't have official curriculum to follow yet. We withdrew from WAVA at the last minute in favor of a home school program available through the Quilcene district (thank you Chari for telling me about it!). This program reimburses WA home school families up to $1500/child/year for approved materials and activities. BONUS! And you get to keep your home school status. AND there is only minimal contact with the school district. AND you are in control of the flow of the work and which classes you take. Wow, what a great partnership between the state and the home schooling family. We jumped on it....at the last possible minute. Which means our books won't be here until next week. So in the mean time, we're just having fun reviewing concepts from last year.

It's actually been really nice to just follow my gut and give my kids work that I know they'll enjoy (mostly) and that gets my creative juices flowing too.

So, while we're waiting, here's just a peek at some stuff that has gone in the boxes recently:

for the 2yo:
Digging puzzle pieces out of rice. He loved it.

So now we'll try digging magnets out of the rice to arrange on our magnet wall that is about 2 ft. x 3 ft. and located right next to my desk where I can keep tabs on the mess.

Have you ever played with wedgits? They're fun.

Matching eggs that have been filled with various things from around the house (rice, nails, chocolate chips, paper, spools of thread, beans, etc)

I got these colored chips at Staples. He drops them into a yogurt container that has a slit cut in the top of it. Keeps him busy for about....7 minutes or so.

I got these blobs of colored glass at the thrift store. He sure likes putting them in this bead organizer.

For my preschooler:

She punched holes in this foammie stuff and then sorted the colored dots.

Then we saved teh dots to decorate our Letter I the next day:
Above: Finger paint from the dollar store. Don't forget the apron...

Above: pattern blocks are from discount school supply. The printouts are from www.prekinder.com I think.
ABove: number quantity. holes are punched in trimmed yogurt lids and little fingers put pony beads in the holes.

More number quantity work.

You know what...I need to get to bed. I'll finish this post tomorrow! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment