Sunday, May 30, 2021

Double Graduation Day 2021

 It seems odd to be back here documenting this moment after skipping all the covid crud that hit us and our homeschool over the past 14+ months. So many things I could have blogged about, but didn't.  Somehow the last year+ of homeschool has totally drained me and blogging felt like the last thing on my list.  Actually, it never made the list. 

Nevertheless, I couldn't let this huge milestone go undocumented.  These graduations represent the culmination of so much effort, patience, emotion, and excitement for what lies ahead. I never envisioned this when I decided to start homeschooling 13 years ago.  But what a sweet, tender and memorable day we shared at Camila's graduation this weekend. It wasn't perfect (is it ever?) but it was wonderful.  I was surprised when my 18-yo said that this graduation was better than a ceremony with hundreds of other graduates.  It was a sweet family moment that we all appreciated very much.  I'm so thrilled for her and all of her accomplishments. She truly has earned the tassel!


First, let me share some pictures of a "friend" ceremony that we had back earlier this month with other graduating seniors from church and their parents.  It was hosted by a family we worship with and planned by another graduate mom.  It was beautiful and memorable as well.  We enjoyed having Camila to ourselves that night as we celebrated her efforts to graduate.











Camila was blessed with a wonderful friend group! I'm so happy she had all of these beautiful friends (and more!) to share her high school years with her. I know they will always be close over the years. 


That was May 1.  Meanwhile, we were preparing for a family graduation that all the kids could participate in.  First, I made the diploma with Camila's input using Canva. I printed it on special paper. I think it turned out well.  I ordered the diploma case and her cap and gown from Amazon.  Seriously, I think her diploma is way nicer than the one I got!






Here's the program I created using Canva




I planned out some awards for her (also designed on Canva).  They each had a dollar value, but I'll leave that off for now. It wasn't much!





Then it was time to decorate!!


We rolled out the red carpet for our Graduates!  Too bad that June let go of the 12 helium balloons I had purchased at party city earlier that day.  Sigh.  Oh well, Dan went to Dollar Tree and replaced them with even better balloons.  It turned out great.





We took pictures








Then we had a dinner of southwest fajitas and corn on the cob.  MMMM.



And then the ceremony began!


Our procession had a few hiccups.  Here's a portion of the video (without the huge bucket of water that fell over at the beginning knocking over our flag and splashing me big time)



As parents, we had the opportunity to speak first.  I think there were more tears than words. It was very heartfelt.

Our second daughter had beautiful things to say as well that made us both laugh and cry. 



Bud had a few words to say

Then we heard from our 10 yo.  So sweet.

Next, our graduate spoke.

AFter the awards were handed out we took some more pictures and played with our 2021 sparklers.









This is the painting Sof made for her big sister



After that, we cleaned up a little and went out for ice cream.


The littles fell asleep on the way home. It felt like a really happy, joyful night with a bitter-sweet realization that we are now entering a new phase of parenting when our kids will begin to come and go, but never really stay with us for long.  This fall, there will be one less place to set at teh table, an extra seat in the car on our way to church, and more hot water to share in the shower. 
It's all ok. This is how it goes. We are happy that she is ready and capable to head out into the world to find her own way.
Just don't be surprised if you find me sitting on her bed, alone in her room, crying one last time.








No comments:

Post a Comment