Sunday, December 16, 2018

Making Apple Cider Vinegar

More experimenting!  It's so fun. I love that I'm finding time to try these simple projects. It gives me just a little sense of self indulgence.

So, I tried another one of Christa's great videos on how to make apple cider vinegar.  Here's what mine looked like when I first put it together.  Pretty, right?



My problem was that I didn't have a weight that would reach through the neck of the jar and keep all the apples submerged. I put a smaller glass jar down inside the neck of the large jar.  This is how it turned out.  I still had a few apples popping up.   Not sure how that will affect final product.









Eventually, I figured out that I could do was take two different lids off of yogurt and cottage cheese containers and bend them until they fit down inside the jar, then put the small jar on top of those and push down a bit. That helped but didn't totally solve my problem.

Update, this is how it looks after about 10 days.



It's definitely bubbly and smells exactly like cider vinegar.  And it's way easier to keep the apples submerged now.

No comments:

Post a Comment