Sunday, September 30, 2018

Little House in the Big Woods: Maple and Square Dance

Is there anybody that doesn't love the Little House series?  My mom bought me the set when I was in 4th or 5th grade and I still have them.  My kids use them now and I love sharing these great American stories with my family.

Right now my 3rd grader is reading the first book in the series, Little House in the Big Woods.  In fact she just finished it today as part of the MBTP Unit.  This girl of mine is a born baker.  She finds absolute joy in the kitchen.  So of course one of her favorite activities form the unit was making maple bars after reading about how maple syrup was made on the frontier many years ago.

Here's a glimpse at her experience wtih this recipe from the unit:






This wasn't my favorite recipe, to be honest.  It lacked a real maple flavor. I'd suggest adding some good ole maple flavoring to the recipe or the glaze for added effect.  But it was a simple recipe that she did mostly on her own and they certainly did disappear quickly here in our household of eight!

Our final project involved learning and doing some square dancing with family or friends.  It just so happened that our city was hosting a bluegrass festival this weekend.  We went and heard some fabulous fiddling, just like Pa's.  And we loved the dancing too!  Wow, what great timing. I had a hrad time keeping my feet still during the performance!


No comments:

Post a Comment