Thursday, May 3, 2018

Living History

So, you may know by now that my favorite literature genre is historical fiction.  It's my fave! And I love reading it aloud to the kids as well.  So when opportunities come a long to share LIVING history with my children I generally jump at the chance.
Such was the case this past month when we hit up the Stagville Historical Site in Durham NC for their homeschool days.

My favorite part was learning about all the different uses for cow horns! Who knew??
 My least favorite part was having to pack up mid field trip and drive down the road to get the rest of the experience.  Not fun on a warm day with grumpy toddler and tired baby in tow.



 I forget what you call the guy who makes stuff out of cow horns.


  She made a rag doll


  Playing with toys from colonial times.





 carding wool.  I feel like we've done this a few dozen times over the years...but oh well.

  Wood working!  A full body workout.


 Field work!  Building a fence

  Not exactly easy work.  No Home Depot to the rescue in those days.

  Some of the crew.  My oldest did not attend. I forget why!

No comments:

Post a Comment