Friday, April 6, 2018

Frog Dissection

I never got to dissect anything when I was in school.  Ever. So I wasn't really thinking through the ramifications of cutting open dead frogs when I whimsically inquired, "Hey! Who wants to dissect a frog to go with our biology unit?"

Everybody wanted to, albeit some less enthusiastically than others.  We invited another family to come along and enjoy the experience with us, which turned out to be a smart move. This was fun to do as a group.

I gotta say: After the first few cuts it really wasn't that bad. We got used to the smell pretty quickly and it wasn't nearly as hard or gross as I thought it would be.

We ordered our specimens from Home Science tools.  I ordered 2 full kits ($15 ea) and 2 frogs ($5 ea) in an effort to save money.  But if I were to do it again, I would just buy a kit for each kid. It's worth it so that everyone has all their own tools, supplies, and instructions. The specimens that came with with the kit were much larger and easier to dissect. Their innards seem to be in better shape for some reason so the kids with a full kit had a better experience.








It was certainly an educational experience for everyone, myself included. I think we even decided it was fun!  The kids were asking if we could do a cow eye next.  Hm....maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment