Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Homemade Fruit Leather

This past Christmas I gave myself a new  Excalibur 3500W Excalibur 3500W 5 Tray Deluxe Dehydrator White,  1, White
 They were having a super deal and I got it for a great price.   I've been having so much fun experimenting with it!  I got some Pack of 9 Premium 14" x 14" Non-Stick Dehydrator Sheets- For Excalibur 2500, 3500, 2900 or 3900
 so I could make home made fruit leather, and I'm so happy with the result.  The kids love it!  I've been using fruit that I canned or froze last summer, mixed with a little yogurt to make nectarine, peach, cherry and strawberry leather.  I even made fruit leather from a jar of pumpkin butter that I made and froze last fall. Tasted like pumpkin pie in a roll!  The kids want me to try a blueberry one next.






I'd say that I put about 1 cup of puree (includes the yogurt) on each tray.  Yum!  I let it run on the floor under my clothes rack so that it also helps dry the clothes!  Bonus.

 When they are done, I roll them up while they are still warm, wrap them in plastic wrap, and then snip them into snack size pieces.  Perfect for throwing in a lunch bag or bringing along in the car.  I've learned that when they are over dried they aren't as good. They get crunchy and brittle.  We like them best when they are just slightly under done so that they're chewy and yummy.  Since we eat them right up, I'm sure it's fine.  You might want to dry them more if you're going to store them for a while.  You could dry them until they are VERY dry and brittle, grind them into powder, and then add them to smoothies for an extra boost!  Or use the powder to sprinkle on desserts, or mix with sparkling water for a special drink! 

I've also used it to make graham crackers and my husband is itching to try his hand at homemade beef jerky.

No comments:

Post a Comment