Friday, May 8, 2009

Reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder series

As I mentioned in last night's post, I'm ramping up my efforts to feed my mind with classic literature as recommended in the TJed model. And of course, I'm not leaving my kids out of the picture.

I began wondering just where I'd start on my journey of classical education with the girls. They're young (6 and 3) and not ready for reading chapter books on their own, obviously. As I thought about it, I remembered that I had the whole series of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books stashed a way in my storage room. I eagerly dug them out and began looking through them. My mom gave me the set when I was about 10 or 11 and I remember spending hours on my bed engrossed in those books, sometimes finishing a book in just one or two days. It was fun to find my old book marks tucked in the pages. What great memories.

So that settled it. I had at least several months worth of reading material sitting right in front of me and I couldn't wait to dig in.



When I presented the books to the girls they didn't seem all that interested. I tried to convey my enthusiasm and my love for the books. They did seem curious to find out why I'd be so passionate about some boring looking book. We began to read Little House in the Big Woods all cuddled up in my bed and after the first chapter THEY WERE HOOKED. My 6yo especially loves these books and begs to be read to often.

We are now reading the second book, Little House on the Prarie, which is the most familiar book of the set thanks to the TV Series. By the way, here's a fun clip of highlights from that show and it is amazingly true to the book:


After we finish reading the books, I'd like to get the girls the Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 1
but I want them to read it before they watch it.

We're having lots of fun supplementing our readings with other study materials, which I will post about shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment